Cheese · Uncategorized · Wildlife

Sunday Morning Notes

A few minutes ago I flipped over my Farmhouse Cheddar and put it back in the mold and under 20 lbs of weight.  It sat under the weights all night – for a total of 12 hours, and will remain under 20 lbs for another 12 hours.  Then tonight I peel off the muslin/cheesecloth and set the cheese on a wooden board to start the drying process. 

That should take anywhere up to 4 days, depending on heat and humidity and all that.  I'm keeping the cheese in my pantry while it dries – it's the perfect spot – I can close the door and keep cats, children and other critters out.  Then I'll be waxing the cheese and aging it for a while.  I've read different things – some say you can eat it right away, others say to age it at least a month, or at least 8 weeks.  I'm going to go (hard as this will be for my "I want an oompa-loompa NOW!" tendancies) with the 8 weeks. 

But I also want to make more.  I'm wondering if I should make smaller wheels, so I can age them differently, you know, try one at 4 weeks, one at 8, one in 6 months, and so on.  So that's on my mind.  And I want to make all the other hard cheeses I can…I'm thinking Monterey Jack next…and Feta…and Gouda…and on and on and on.

I made a quick batch of mozzarella recently.  I was going to make pizza for dinner, but then those plans changed.  Maybe tonight.  I also made chevre again recently, and this time I used the whey to make bread.  I'll be posting abou that next.


This morning I took a quick drive over to the police station to check on Mama Goose.  She's still there, or maybe it was Papa Goose.  I'm guessing Mama.  She had that look.  I didn't take a picture, because I didn't want to bother her and because it wouldn't look all that different from the picture I'd taken before.  I don't know how long she's been there, so I don't know when to anticipate seeing goslings.  I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.  I've read that Canada goslings take about 28-30 days to hatch, so I'm guessing within the next few weeks I'll either see the babies or an empty nest.  I'll let you know.


Thursday afternoon/evening we had a lovely downpour and accompanying thunderstorm.  The rain fell in fat, heavy drops.  Summer rain.  Bill was working, but the kids and I snuggled together on the couch and read books for a while.  I love storms. 

And that's it for now.  Back later to discuss chevre.  I think today will be a good day to type.

Leave a Reply