Monday, Monday

Trying to get back into some sort of normal groove here.  We arrived home late Saturday night, as I mentioned in the previous post, and then spent yesterday kind of checking in on the gardens, unpacking, and restocking.  Bill mowed the lawn.  We yanked out the zucchini and pattypan plants – summer squashes which have stopped producing.  We picked tomatoes, red noodle beans, eggplant, and fennel.  We dug up some of our potatoes (potatoes!!) and picked some of the butternut and black futsu (winter squashes), and all of these are hardening off for a couple of days.  We'll probably just go ahead and eat the potatoes this week, since there aren't a lot of them, or, rather, they aren't very big.  But the squash will get stored in a basket in the basement for now.

I still have laundry to do – any dirty laundry from the suitcases is currently on a chair in the living room – and the clean clothes are stacked on the couch, waiting to be put away. 

Yesterday was not a rush around kind of day.

This morning is wonderfully cool and breezy, with rain earlier.  I wouldn't mind a full day of rain, just so I could stay inside and do house stuff.

We still have work to do on the outside of the house…the front needs a bit more sanding on the trim around the door, and the garage needs to be sanded, and then both need to be primed and painted.  But it's the easy stuff now – no more going up on the roof for Bill, or sitting on very slanty parts of the side roofs next to the dormer on the back of the house.  No more second floor stuff. 

I still have posts to put together about various things we did in Seattle, and maybe I'll get to some of that today, but maybe not.  I figure I can blame my laziness on jet lag for another day or two, and then I'll get completely back to normal.

Alex informed me this morning that "Lucky" – the baby lizard – has grown.  I'll have to go take a look.  How do you even tell when they're that tiny?  We're hoping to be able to find a home for Lucky ourselves; perhaps with one of Alex's friends.  It would be nice – especially for Alex – to know Lucky was going to a good home.  For now, our job (or Alex's job) is to make sure Lucky learns to eat and stays healthy.  Yesterday Alex dropped a grub from our compost bin into Lucky's tank.  The grub landed on a leaf and Lucky spotted it, jumped over, and ate it.  Good Lucky.

And that's about it for now.  I'll be back.


Leave a Reply